Sunday, April 03, 2005

Teaching Business Stewardship

April 03 2005

‘This should be a cinch” I told myself with a mental grin.

The pleading Principal was effusive with a torrent of gratitude as I condescended to take the Services Marketing course for Management students.

“Why does the stall at the corner sell more than all the other snack people?” I fumbled for an answer as the young student asked her pesky question.

“Why do some doctors do better than others’? Things were heating up and I resolved to study the subject a bit before taking more classes.

An obliging junior lecturer plied me with titles as I nonchalantly asked for some leads.

It turned out that the old 4 Ps of my youth had aged with me and People, Process, Physical Evidence and Preferential Customer Services were the new kids on the block.

The students diligently helped me with the differences between essential and peripheral types of physical evidence and showed me the help keys for a Customer Relations Management Consulting program. I learnt about the travails of on-line marketing services and realized to my eternal consternation that Services Marketing puts Product Management in the shade.

It is all about intangibles and enhancing the brand offer, I am told.

These kids need no Patents as I did. Their branding is as sticky as a cult, yet you can neither feel nor touch it. They live by their wits and are the ultimate open source in protecting a business or a vocation.

“You are the best of the Customer Service Consultants I have ever met. The others just read from their notes and do not listen. The students love you. Please come back next term”.

I nodded and exited, tail between my legs.

Dr S Banerji
Visiting Faculty, Bachelor of Management Sciences 5th Semester. R.I.P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home